So today is offically 6 months of living with the band. I am down 52 pounds. Woo Hoo!!!! I finally wrote out my long boring history with being overweight. You don't have to read it. I am warning you it is really long and I am not a great writer, but I needed to post it for me. I needed a record.
How do you chronicle a lifetime of being overweight? Where to you pin point the beginning? Is that even possible? I am not quite sure that it is so I am just going to say that I can never remember being skinny. Every memory I have of myself and weight is unpleasant, for lack of a better word. I grew up with an older sister who was skinny like a rail. She was one of those size 0’s that could (and did) eat ice cream for breakfast and never gain a pound. In fact there was a time when, my parent’s goal was to get her to gain some weight. So needless to say, I always compared myself to her…and I take no pleasure in the fact that she struggles with her weight now…well…maybe a little.
I won’t bore you with the countless stories from Jr. High. Like the time I refused to go on a church ski trip because they needed your weight for some obscure purpose (still don’t know why), but at that time I was 13 years old and weighed 179 lbs. Or the time that I had to call my mom to pick me up because the zipper in my jeans had split because they were so tight.
December 1994 - Fall of junior year
(At one of my Graduation Parties)
(Senior Picture...so serious, I was such a drama queen)
I left for college at a size 14. Stopped taking the pills because I wasn’t able to see the doctor on a regular basis and couldn’t get the prescription filled. Freshmen 15 and then some found me. I can remember one time I weighed myself my junior year and I was at 227. I was horrified that I had gotten to this point…again, but didn’t/wasn’t able to do anything about it. I wonder if it had something to do with all the beer I had in the fridge. :) Graduated at a size 22. Moved back to Dallas and got a job teaching 3rd grade. I was so excited and really loved what I was doing but my weight was still an issue. It got in the way of everything, but mainly my self confidence was just about nill. So one night, I was home and really depressed about the way my life was going, so I got on the internet and started looking for my good friend phentermine. Hey, it worked before, why not again?(This was February 2001 at my cousin's 30th birthday party)
Kept that off for about 2 years and then gained to a size 20. In 2004, I started running…a lot. And it was wonderful. One of my friends would run with me and we are/were pretty competitive. If she said she had run 4 miles that day and I had only run 3 I would go out and run another mile and a half just so I could say I had run more, and she would do the same. I was down to a 9 minute mile. I was doing one 5K a month. The weight loss was slow during this time but my body felt soooo good. I gained some confidence, started dating again but only really made it to a size 16 but I didn’t care! I felt great! The lowest I remember my weight being during this time was 196. It had been so long since I had seen a number in the 100’s I could barely believe it. It didn’t last very long but I was definitely happy during this time in my life.
(At my college roomates bachelorette party)
Summer of 2006 my father was diagnosed with Parkinson’s Plus which looks like Parkinson’s but isn’t. It is hard to explain but basically the automatic functions of his body are slowly degenerating and basically you treat symptoms to maintain quality of life but will not be able to stop the progression. This was devastating to our family (and still is). So how does one cope with this? Eat…and eat I did. I had also quit smoking and spending money because I had made a goal to be credit card debt free. (Which I am now, woo hoo!) So two of my vices that I had relied on when I cut out the bad eating were suddenly gone and I was in crisis.
And on top of all that, my running buddy got married and moved to Ohio, I was in year two of grad school, and had moved from a classroom position to a support position. Lots of changes. So the weight started to come back. I tried a few last ditch efforts, including a $2000 program through the Cooper Clinic, but never got the results I wanted. I became assistant principal one year later, and then principal a year after that. All very fast and very stressful. So that brings me to my all time high of 313 lbs on March 5th, 2010.
(That's me on the far left. I cropped my big old butt out of the picture before I sent it out to the staff)
I can't wait to see what the next 6 months will bring.
PS - I can't believe I am publishing this...


5 comments:
52 lbs is awesome cupcake, but if you were banded on April 12th, isn't that only 5 months with the band??? I only ask because my band date was 4/26 and I knew I wasn't near my 6 months yet.
That just makes the 52 lbs in FIVE months that much more impressive.
52 lbs is amazing work!!
Congrats on your 6 months (whether its 6 months with the band, or 6 months on the journey, it's a milestone either way!)
I had similar experiences with Phentermine. Lost weight, but when I stopped taking it, the weight came back on. Congrats on your weight loss to date!
Christine
www.phoenixrevolution.net
Our size and weight stories are very similar, I wonder how many others share the same. Good job and congrats on the milestones - there are many more in your future!
Post a Comment