Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Chew Your Heart Out

So this motto this week has been chew, chew, chew and yet I still am having some troubles. Two Fridays ago, I got a fill. I went from 8 ccs to 8.2 ccs. Not a huge jump. The PA was willing to do .5 but I split the difference because I felt like I was close and that would be too much.

So the first week, things went really well. I was satisfied with 4 oz of food. Didn't feel hunger much at all. Lost 4 lbs. Woo Hoo!

Cut to this last Friday. Could only eat half of my cottage cheese for breakfast, which is a little 4 oz container, and it was painful. I could feel it going down and it wasn't just pressure, it was pain. Had chicken tortilla soup for lunch and could only take 6 or 7 spoonfuls before the heartburn took over. At dinner I totally PB'd my chicken and I chewed my heart out with each bite.

Same kind of issues on Saturday. Could barely drink my smoothie from Starbucks, and mashed potatoes for dinner did go over very well either. (But I could sure as hell eat a damn cupcake....it took me two hours but I got it down.)

I have been having this problem now all week. Today I bought some refried beans from Taco Bell because I was desperate to eat something and had two bites, horrible pain and an eventual PB. So I think I am too tight. I called my doctor and they are going to fit me in tomorrow for a slight unfill.

I know that this is the right thing to do but I am scared that I am going to lose the decent restriction that I had before. I guess I just need some encouragement from those of you who have had to have an unfill. Did they take out too much? Do you think I should wait it out a few more days and see if it goes back to how it was right after I got the fill? I need validation!!!!!! :)

5 comments:

Read said...

Well... I can't offer any concrete advice because I haven't been in a place where I'd even consider an unfill. But I can offer support. I think you should do what your gut (LOL no pun intended) is telling you.

It doesn't sound like a fun place to be, not able to eat anything, but maybe it's something hormonal that is making you more tight. I've read in other places that during that TOM people get tighter - or when they have a cold too - could either of those things be affecting your tightness oddly this week when it seemed to be going so well last week? Good luck!

Janelle said...

Listen, we bandsters become possessive of our fills. We don't want to let it go. Why would we let it go??? It is the key to our weight loss!! IT'S MINE DAMMIT!

But the truth is... if you have too much, you can do damage. Everything you described is TOO MUCH. Sometimes it is hard to admit when we need an unfill, but honey, you need an unfill BADLY. When I get like this I just remind myself that is I do damage to my band, the weight loss will STOP for a loooong time, so keeping in too much fluid isn't helping anyone out, only hurting us.

I have had 2 unfills, it happens! Don't sweat it, it is OK and you won't stop losing forever, you WILL get back to a good place. I promise!

MandaPanda said...

I haven't been there yet but I feel I've read enough other blogs to tell you that you need an unfill. From what I understand, not only could you do damage to your band being too tight but it's actually counterproductive to weight loss because you find yourself eating not-so-healthy slider foods just to be able to eat at all. Hope this helps.

Mary H. said...

I've heard several people say that even the tiniest unfill can make a big difference. Maybe that's all you need to keep the restriction, but lose the heartburn! Follow your instinct...:)

Nella said...

Definitely tight my friend!