Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Plan

So I am feeling much better. The surgery went well and I came home pretty doped up. I am feeling pretty good today and will be going back to work tomorrow.

Now for the plan!

Once I realized that there was a possibility that I wouldn't be able to keep my band, I went in to action. When I first started researching having weight loss surgery, I was torn between having the sleeve and the band. However, my insurance didn't cover the sleeve so that made my decision easy. Now that I was faced with the possibility that I may not be able to keep my band, my mind turned back to the sleeve. I know that Jacquie, succeseful bandster turned "sleevester"(not a real word, I know), had a revision to the sleeve so the research began. At this point I knew I would not be able to afford the revision surgery out of pocket, but I would be willing to do some hard core saving to maybe afford it in a year or so. Which got me thinking....a year is a pretty long time. It has been almost two years since I had my surgery and maybe just maybe, my insurance company had changed their minds about covering the sleeve. So I called them up, discussed the situation, and it turns out that they DO cover the sleeve. So, now I had a contingency plan. Now I knew that if they were not able to fix my band, and had to remove it, that there was a possibility that I wouldn't be out there on my own.

Now, we just wait for the insurance approval and hopefully I will have revision surgery in March during Spring Break. Until then, keep my meals in check and exercise, exercise, exercise! I made a committment to change my life 2 years ago and with out without the band, that commitment is still in place. I will go back to accountability blogging and will keep you posted on the insurance process.

Now for those of you who are reading this who are thinking about getting the band or have the band. I want the record to show that I DO NOT REGRET GETTING MY BAND!!!! Even with the complications that I have had, this has been the best decision I have ever made. It helped me get my life back. It led me to this amazing support group, and it taught me that I can do anything I put my mind to.

Thank you all for your amazing support. You guys are awesome and are a big reason why I have been able to lose 120 pounds and keep it off!

Exercise starts again in two weeks! Boot camp here I come!

26 comments:

Stacey said...

I am really happy your surgery went well, even if you had to have the band out. It is really great that your insurance will now pay for the band revision. I have the sleeve and love it. I wasn't a revision, though.Take care of you and get back to boot camp soon!

Gilly said...

Yeah...and like 'bandster' is a real word! Lol! I'm glad you have a plan and another plan (and a little bitter that Canada covers NONE of this...) and I wish you all the luck and success you've had with the band in these other incarnations!

♥ Drazil ♥ said...

Babycakes - I just love you and your attitude. It's so inspiring.

Susan said...

Angela - you are amazing and your story so inspirational. The band did not lose the weight for you - you did - you made all the right choices and were committed. Take it from someone who is struggling with the band because I have not followed through the way I need to in order to have success.
Your plan sounds great! Thank goodness they now cover the sleeve! Keep it up and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Lucy said...

I'm sure you will be able to do keep your weight in check and most likely lose some weight without the band. I hope all goes well and your insurance will cover you for the other!

Darlin1 said...

I like you your plan and your attitude...
Take good care of yourself!

A.J. said...

Sometimes just having a plan is a big enough relief. Glad your surgery went well ---- here's to more future success.

Linda said...

Sounds like a great plan. I would do the same. I know you will continue to be successful.

Dawnya said...

Thank you for sharing this story. Personally, you are one of my band goddessess. I look to you and know that it can be done. That is how I knew you would be a success with our without your band.

I'm so happy you were proactive and did the research you needed to do to put your uplan in action. I look forward to your accountibility post. Maybe I need to join you on that one.

BTW...do you think you are still going to be up for this weekend? Text me.

Lap Band Gal said...

Sounds like a great plan :)

Lee Ann said...

Oh wow, I've been away from Blogland for the last 6 weeks or so...I had no idea & am just getting caught up. Just wanted to wish you well and I'm glad you have a plan in place. Hope everything goes well with the insurance.

Rachel said...

Good plan!!! So proud of you!! xxx

Jacquie said...

I love your plan! The sleeve is like the band.....a tool to help us lose and keep off the weight. You rocked your band and I have no doubt you will continue to lose and ultimately maintain your weight regardless off what tool you chose to go forward with.

I lost 50 of my total of 75 lbs lost with my lap band. Unfortunately for some of us, it can't get us all the way. I'm envious of those that it works for but thankful that there are alternative options for those of us that it doesn't.

Track your food and exercise....you will be just fine. If you have any Sleevester (I love this) questions, you know where to find me!

Jacquie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin said...

I am so glad you are ok and I think the plan is awesome!

You will do great and no matter the outcome of the revision, you have changed your life for the better and you are a real inspiration!

Hugs!

Nora said...

Glad that you are doing well and have a solid plan for the future!

Krisz said...

Thank you for sharing, and I'm happy you figured this out beforehand - there is nothing more destroying that having such an "unresolved" issue hanging over your head.
It also give a lot of comfort to a "younger bandster" like me (well, 7 months ago) - I also thought about what would I do if I lose my band. It pretty much looks that, as sad as it is, it doesn't have to be the end of the world for a banded person.

Rhonda said...

You're amazing! And I hate to be the "bright side" kinda gal...

But at least now when you start dating, you won't have to explain your port baby! I was laying in bed with a guy a while back and he accidentally felt my port and was kind of freaked out about it, and I had to explain it. UGH. (Me, me, me... I know.)

I think the sleeve will definitely help you get the rest of the way to goal weight as well! :)

Cat said...

Thanks for sharing your plan with us. You are such an inspiration.

Sarah said...

Glad you have a plan in place, I am confident you will be fine through this transition and still rock it! I am sorry the band didn't work out for you and you don't regret it!

Theresa said...

No matter what, you are a rock star. I am sorry that you had this complication, and so glad you have a plan in place. Take care and heal. We are all here for you!
Big Hug!

Steph said...

Although I'm sorry to hear about the band removal, i'm thrilled that you have a back up plan and I'm even more thrilled that your insurance may cover it!! That is awesome and I'm glad that you are keeping such a positive spin on things. You are such an inspiration to so many of us (me included) and you would do great with or without a new surgery! :)

speck said...

I'm happy things are going your way.

Andrea said...

I'm sorry I got so behind on reading your blog and for all the bad stuff you've been going through.

I'm glad things went well and your plan sounds great! You have a great attitude about everything and I know you will continue to be successful!

DiZneDiVa said...

I have been going over the same decision... over and over. I am so happy that your insurance is now covering the sleeve.

MandaPanda said...

I'm so glad that you've got a backup plan ready and rarin' to go!