Saturday, November 13, 2010
Hair-apy
So I am thinking about cutting my hair. I have really had this need to do something drastic, make a big change, jump out of an airplane....something! I even considered going blond! (I have very dark brown hair and aside from the "purple" phase I went through in college, I have not veered from my natural color.)
Currently my hair is almost to the middle of my back. Long and straight and pretty much pulled up in a bun or ponytail most of the time...but here's the kicker. Every time I get my hair cut, even just a few inches, I cry. I am not quite sure why. It will grow back. It always does, but I get so upset.
I think I am afraid that I can't be pretty unless I have long hair. I won't be desirable to anyone unless I have long hair. People won't like me....unless I have long hair. Kind of goes along with my "no one will want me unless I am skinny" bullshit that I subscribe to. It sounds asinine just typing it out. Part of me thinks I just need to cut it off as a symbolic gesture that I won't listen to the negative self talk anymore. I don't know what to do....help me ladies!!!
To cut or not to cut...that is the question.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
While you ponder cutting....why not change up your hair routine a little to see if you can get the change you are looking for without a cut. I am thinking hot rollers!
or maybe just some layers?
A full on chop would be hard given your attachment to long hair :-)
I know exactly what you mean. I cut my hair when I was in the military, as it was easier to maintain short since it always had to be fixed above my shoulders. It went from the middle of my back to just below my chin. I bawled my eyes out! Then about seven or eight years later I decided to go short again. This time I did a stacked bob, no tears, but I did LOVE it. I wanted to go short enough that I wouldn't be able to put it in a pony, as that is how I wore it every day. Now I am growing it out again, but only because I want to do a makeover when I get close to goal,and by having long hair I will have more options! I say, go for it!
I would say do it. As you say, hair grows back. And if all you're doing is just pulling it back, that's not really a style. I've had my hair super short, and am growing it now (but debating cutting it again!). Hair is versatile and always grows. Go for something fun!
Why not think about cutting it off and donating it to Locks of Love? Perhaps if you think about it in terms of what you can do for a child going through cancer treatment, you might feel better about it and you might be able to enjoy a shorter cut. Just a thought.
I cut my long hair a few months back and donated it. It felt great to be doing it but I was so scared especially because everyone was always saying how beautiful my hair was long. Well I love it and so does everyone else. It's just hair, it will grow back. Look at alot of photos and decide. If you decide to leave it the same then great if not the go for it, shake things up a bit!
Historically my hair has gotten shorter as I get thinner. I love the asymmetrical looks for straight hair where it's longer in the front then angles to shorter in the back. Whatever you decide, you should probably do it in stages since you get emotional when you get it cut.
Post a Comment